Monday, April 11, 2011

Imagination


Dear Diary,

Today’s entry will be brought to you by the letter ‘I’. There were surprisingly a lot of words that I thought of for ‘I’. Imagination was the winner. I have to wonder what happened to imagination. Kids used to use imagination to learn and grow and be a part of worlds past, present and future; now they play video games and watch television. I’ve heard people say over and over kids today may spend all their time playing video games and watching television but is that really any different from when kids used to spend all their time reading books. I think yes, books take imagination; you create whole worlds in vivid color from a few words. You can fight with the Knights of the Round Table or make friends with aliens on Jupiter when you read a book. The difference is with a book the landscape of Jupiter or the armor of the knights comes from you, granted some books have pictures but your imagination brings them to life.
I know this song is old we have all heard it, but the more I think about it I realize that nothing is original any more. Nobody is using their imagination. Movies all have the same plot, especially chick flicks, they are all retelling the same stories we have heard before with a change in location or character. I appreciate the hint of irony that I am discussing how nobody has any new ideas and lack imagination, when this topic is not new and lacks imagination. I admit that I don’t have any new ideas, but kids have the best imaginations if we would just let them express them. I also have to admit that this was not a very eloquently expressed entry but some days are like that … with me most days are like that.

Until next time,
Me

1 comment:

  1. Me, original might be when we blur the lines of others and do things that stimulate thought! I love books, when young and today. It is sad, when you think of what is lacking! I did imagine, today...

    ReplyDelete